Thursday, January 17, 2008

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

I made this soup again the other day and it reminded me of how much I love this soup!

1 small onion
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
8 oz sliced mushrooms (canned)
1 1/2 cups half & half or whole milk
28 oz chicken broth
1 (7oz) package Zataran's New Orleans Style long grain wild rice mix
1 whole chicken breast boiled & shredded

Directions

1. Saute onion with butter in a large saucepan.
2. Mix in flour.
3. Cook until golden brown, stirring constantly.
4. Add mushrooms shredded chicken and chicken broth.
5. Simmer several minutes.
6. Cook rice according to package instructions.
7. Add rice to chicken.
8. Add the half & half.
9. Cook over low heat until heated through.
10. The longer it simmers, the thicker it will get. If not thick enough, mix abuot 3 tbls. of butter with 3-4 tbls of flour.

I use what ever milk I have in the fridge, 1%, 2%, whole and they have all worked find. I also start the rice first, that way it is ready to go when you need it, because it takes about 20 minutes.

No comments: