Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Chinese Cabbage Salad

Chinese Cabbage Salad I

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Ready In: 25 Minutes
Yields: 12 servings


"Golden toasted ramen noodles are mixed with cashews, shredded cabbage, and green onions, then doused with a soy sauce/oil/vinegar dressing."

INGREDIENTS:
1 (3 ounce) package ramen
noodles, crushed
10 ounces cashew pieces
1 (16 ounce) package
shredded coleslaw mix
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce


DIRECTIONS:
1. In a preheated 350 degree F oven (175 degree C), toast the crushed noodles and nuts until golden brown.
2. In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw, green onions, toasted ramen noodles and cashews.
3. To prepare the dressing, whisk together the sugar, oil, vinegar and soy sauce. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss and serve.


As you can see, I got this from the Allrecipes website. Some changes I made per the reviews were as follows:
1. Sprinkle the seasoning mix/part of it on the cashews and noodles before you bake them, I also sprayed the parchment paper and nuts/noodles with cooking spray.
2. I only used 1 1/2 green onions instead of the whole bunch and it was plenty for me
3. I cut the sugar and veg oil to 1/4 c each and added 1 T olive oil--don't know if it made much difference, but as called for, there is too much dressing for me.
4. The second time I made this, I added some grilled chicken cut up and served it as the main dish.

No comments: