Sunday, August 2, 2009

Pioneer Woman's Thin Onion Strings

How could a deep fried onion not be good though? Pioneer Woman never fails to impress. I will make a few slight changes next time though. I think I am going to cut my onions thicker, only because I really like the juicy flavor of cooked onions and I might do half seasoned salt half regular/sea salt. I'll let you know when I try it and tell you how it goes.

Ingredients:
1 large onion
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 scant tablespoon salt
Lots of black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Canola Oil

Directions:
Slice onion very thin (a mandolin slicer comes in very handy here). Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk for at least one hour.Combine dry ingredients and set aside.Heat oil to 375 degrees.Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tab to shake off excess, and PLUNGE into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown.Repeat until onions are gone.Eat before your family sees them.Repeat with another onion, because they’ll be really mad they didn’t get any.

No comments: